Stroud-Lawrence Funeral Home was established in 1870 by A.J. Cole who operated both a furniture company and according to the March 16, 1882 Exponent newspaper, "Undertaking with Embalming a Specialty." In 1887 Mr. Cole sold the business to Mr. Clinton Eggleston who, only two years later, sold the furniture and funeral home business to Mr. Milton Brewster.
In 1919 Mr. Brewster's son-in-law, Harry W. Stroud joined the firm and the name was changed to Brewster and Stroud. In 1930 Brewster and Stroud bought the former William Gates residence on Franklin Street and in 1937 separated the funeral home business from the furniture store business (Brewster and Stroud Furniture Store) and renamed the funeral home H.W. Stroud and Sons Funeral Home. In 1949 Mr. H.W. Stroud died and John M. Stroud, his eldest son, took over the funeral home.
In 1968, Don and Judi Lawrence went to work for the Stroud family and in 1981 purchased the funeral home from them and the name was changed to Stroud-Lawrence Funeral Home. In 2002 Don Lawrence passed away, and his wife Judi and son Michael Lawrence continue to operate the funeral home in the same caring manner as it has been since 1870.